This post may contain affiliate links. Which means if you make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no cost to you.
For my #newrecipefriday I tried out this fabulous soup recipe. This recipe is an adaption, view the original here:
This is a hearty soup. Not too brothy- full of hidden veggies, chicken and a yummy alfredo like broth. I always know a recipe is a good one when both my husband and toddler say yummy at the dinner table.
I always find it easiest to prep all of the veggies in advance, so you will see I always recommend too. Slice all 8 ounces of mushrooms, dice half an onion and mince the 2 cloves of garlic. Make sure to leave the garlic separate from the onions and mushrooms- they are not added at the same time.
Side note: I hate cutting up onions. I always end up with burning watery eyes. In fact, I hate it so much that for the past year I have had my husband do the onion cutting for me. UNTIL I found this handy gadget. If you hate cutting onions as much as I do, do yourself a favor and pick up one of these bad boys. It takes no time at all and you have literally zero burning or watery eyes. A win, win for me!
Cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes. Turn burner to medium heat and add the 1TBS butter and the chicken to a large pan (as large as you need for all ingredients) season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and cook the chicken until it is half cooked through. Then add mushrooms and onion and cook for 10 more minutes.
Add garlic, Italian seasoning and flour and cook for another minute- mixing well.
Add wine and scrape all bits off the bottom of the pan. Combine well and add the chicken broth and tortellini. Bring it all to a simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Turn off heat and add the half and half and cup of Parmesan cheese. Combine well until all of the cheese is melted and well incorporated. Serve and enjoy.
One pot chicken mushroom tortellini
This meal is perfect for weekdays and easy on the dishwasher. Enjoy the full flavors of this cheesy broth with bits of mushrooms, onion, chicken and tortellini.
- 1 TBS butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 TBS flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces tortellini
- 1/2 pound chicken breast (approximately 1 breast)
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Prep all veggies by slicing the mushrooms, dicing the onion and mincing the garlic
2. Cut the chicken into 1" cubes and add to a large pan along with butter on medium heat.
3. Once chicken is halfway cooked, add mushrooms and onion and cook for 10 more minutes
4. Add garlic, Italian seasoning and flour and cook for another minute.
5. Add wine and mix well to combine. After a minute, add chicken broth and then tortellini.
6. Bring to a simmer and cook covered for 10 minutes.
7. Turn off heat and stir in half and half and parmesan cheese. Stir well until combined and cheese is melted.