I like all things maple. It’s one of those flavors that brings fond memories of my childhood flooding into my mind. Pancakes were my favorite food in the world and my mom made them for me nearly every weekend. So I set out to make a cookie that had that distinct maple flavoring that I love so much. Creating this recipe has been a labor of love- failing twice- but the third time was the charm. I hope you love these maple sugar cookies as much as I do.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add your egg and mix again.
Add in vanilla extract, maple extract( see the link below for the type I use) and maple syrup (nothing fancy, I used log cabin) until mixed well. Your mixture will be runny thin and runny- that is normal! It will look something like this:
Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder and blend until well combined. It will be light and fluffy, like this:
Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch round balls and roll in white sugar to coat the ball. Place on your cookie sheets about an inch apart.
Bake for 10-12 minutes until just set on top. Remove and let cool for a few minutes before you remove from the cookie sheets. Enjoy!
Shop the look- Cookware
Get the real deal stuff for the best results! Since they are MAPLE sugar cookies, best to make the most important ingredient count.
Non skid mixing bowls are the best when it comes to cookie dough blending!
A high performance hand mixer is a must! I tried to cheap out a few years ago and ended up with rusting beaters! Agh!
Maple sugar cookies
A pancake with syrup reincarnated into a cookie. This no refrigerate dough whips up quickly and can be on your table in under 30 minutes.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tsp maple extract
- 1/2 C maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- approx. 1/4 cup white sugar for rolling
*Preheat oven to 350 degrees*
1. In a mixing bowl cream together butter and brown sugar. Add egg and mix again.
2. Add in vanilla extract, maple extract and maple syrup until mixed well.
3. Add flour, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and baking powder and mix until well combined.
4. Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch round balls and roll in white sugar to coat the ball.
5. Place on cookie sheets about an inch apart.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes until set on top.
7. remove and let cool, enjoy!